Sunday, January 31, 2010

My First Quilt


TAH DAH!!! My very first quilt and I have to say that I am really happy with how it turned out! I made this for Tyson and am SOOOOO... excited that it is finally done. To actually see it on his bed gives me an amazing feeling of accomplishment. I started it back in April and it actually went together pretty quick. My goal was to have the top of the quilt put together before Karissa was born and I definitely met that goal. Once that was done it was only a matter of putting the batting and backing on and quilting it. Since I was going to have a new baby to take care of there was no way I was going to have time to hand quilt it, so Emily was so sweet to offer to take the quilt up with her to Idaho and quilt it for me on a quilting machine. I cannot even express how grateful I am to you, Emy, for doing that for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The binding was the last step and I finished that on New Years Eve. I LOVE how it turned out and Emy even quilted Tyson's name on it. All I need to do now is make a pillow sham...in my free time;)

I really enjoyed putting this together although it did end up costing quite a bit more than what I expected. Needless to say quilting won't become a hobby due to the cost, but to make one quilt for each of my kids, they are most definitely worth it!

My mom made each of us kids a quilt when we were growing up, and unfortunately we didn't take very good care of them so they got pretty tattered and worn. Looking back I wish I still had mine, but fortunately she made me another one a few years ago and I will be taking much better care of this one. They are treasured keep sakes!




6 comments:

christiansen family said...

That really turned out so cute. You did a great job. Just looking at that makes me overwhelmed with how much time it probably took. Good job!

Mandy said...

Wow!!! That is beautiful! I am so impressed. You are so talented!

Julie said...

Beautiful job, Valerie. It turned out so nice.

Wells Family said...

That is beautiful!!! You did such a great job!!! We enjoyed seeing Ben last night and having him over for dinner. Next time you need to come out with him.

Jess said...

So so so cute! Seriously - very awesome!

Jen Bowen said...

This turned out so well. I really like the colors and pattern. I'm not sure if I'd feel motivated to make a quilt for each kid but that sounds like a really fun tradition. I really enjoyed all the picture updates. Your kids are so cute.