Monday, February 1, 2010

Ben's Car Accident


Our Civic when it was just one month old on our wedding day.






A few weeks ago Ben was in a car accident. I am SOOOOOO....grateful that Ben walked away with minor injuries!!!! Our little car didn't fare so well though. Ben was on his way home from work on a Friday when he was rear ended by a Suburban. He was getting off the freeway when traffic backed up pretty quick. Ben was totally stopped when the Suburban hit him going about 50 mph pushing Ben into the SUV in front of him. He was on the phone with me when it happened although I had no idea. I was mid sentence when I thought the call was dropped. I remember thinking in that moment that "I hope he wasn't in an accident", but I didn't want to entertain that thought and figured he would either call back or just talk to me when he got home. Well about 5 or 10 minutes later I got a call from Ben telling me he was just rear ended. He reassured me that he was okay, but that his ribs really hurt. I could hear the pain in his voice. I can't describe the feeling of panic and helplessness that came over me when he told me! The emergency vehicles arrived shortly there after so Ben had to get off the phone. About 30 minutes or so later I received a phone call from a nurse at the hospital letting me know that Ben had been taken to the new Riverton hospital, which is just down the street. Sue came with me and held Karissa in the waiting room while I went in with Ben. They had taken x-rays, given him an ultrasound and wanted to do a CT Scan but Ben, being deathly afraid of needles, declined that. Everything came back okay, but the doctor told him that without the CT scan they wouldn't be able to detect any internal bleeding or cracks to his ribs. We were told to watch for any swelling in the abdomen and cramping, but both Ben and I felt that everything would be okay, especially after he received a blessing, (Thanks, Scott for not even hesitating when I called)! Anyway, Ben was in quite a bit of pain the first few days after the accident and he did end up going back in for that CT scan due to some swelling. Thankfully the swelling was just due to the internal bruising and trauma to the soft tissue in his abdomen. A couple of Ben's ribs are still pretty tender, but we are just so grateful that things didn't turn out worse!!!!!!!!!

Our poor little Civic however, didn't make it. It is pretty sad for us actually because Ben and I bought that car one month before we were married. There are so many memories we have with that little car: we took it on our honeymoon, it was our commuter car when we lived in So. California (hence the excessive miles that were on it), lots and lots of trips to the beach, our move to Utah, the car we had when we added Tyson to the family...the memories go on. It was sad to see it all crumpled and know that we will never see or ride in that little car again. Yes, you can say I am sentimental! We are grateful that we had it paid off though and that we had good insurance coverage. Ben was able to replace it with another Honda Civic, same year and color, although this time he got the SI model that he had always wanted. Another plus was that it had half the miles on it, only 60,000. Ben definitely got an insane deal on it and we were able to pay cash for it with our insurance money, so this one is paid off too...YEAH!!! Our new car was even originally purchased from the same dealership we bought our Civic from in Southern California.

Anyway, our little car will be missed, but more importantly Ben is hear and recovering quickly. We have been very blessed!

6 comments:

kelli said...

Oh wow. I didn't know it was so bad! That poor car was totaled! I'm so glad Ben was OK. And awesome that you got such a great deal on another car! Sure love you guys!

Bradwich said...

Yeah, that's pretty intense! But I'm glad things worked out--it's always nice when a rough situation has some benefits (like the car with fewer miles...)

Julie said...

Wow, the car really was crunched up pretty bad. I'm so glad Ben is ok!

Warner Fam said...

Oh Valerie...I am so glad Ben is ok. You never think something like that will happen to you. I miss you guys!! Hope you are all doing well.

Name Without End said...

Isn't it funny how we get attached to things? Everytime I trade a car in I go a grieving process.

christiansen family said...

Holy cow, I had NO clue he got in a accident. How scary, I am glad that he is okay and YAHOO for getting a better deal on a car, don't you love it when things work out that way :)