I decided to take another stab at potty training Tyson last week and I have to say that we are making progress. I read a friends blog last week about her latest adventures and success in this process and decided to take on her approach of letting Tyson run around without any pants on (Thanks Allison for your post). This was definitely a more effective approach than trying to encourage him and making him sit on the potty every 30 minutes or so. We stayed home all last week to help him get into the groove of things and by day three he was wearing big boy pants...YEAH!!!!
Last week I wasn't sure how to approach nap time so I would lay next to him after our usual stories and singing time so that I could better monitor him. One afternoon I was pretty exhausted and found myself dosing off while Tyson played quietly next to me, when in my dreams I was hearing a soft voice whispering, "Pee-pee the potty...Mom, pee-pee the potty!" I don't know how long he repeated that until my subconscious mind realized what was going on and I was able to wake myself up. His usual approach of lifting my eye lid and telling me, "Mom, wake-up" probably would have been faster, but he was trying so hard to quietly wake me up with his little whispers. Luckily we made it to the bathroom before any unfortunate mishaps occurred!
Now, I am not going to say that everything has been smooth sailing and that he has got it down 100%, but he is doing well! He has had accidents and this week has been full of setbacks to some degree. On Tuesday I honestly thought that I was going to lose it. After having to clean up numerous messes I finally broke down and put him in a pull-up. I didn't want to have to clean up one more mess that day and convinced myself that sometimes it's okay to use disposable. I usually try to stick with cloth underwear during the day and save the disposables for night time, nap time (since he is such a sound sleeper) and some outings, but that day was an exception! Thankfully he has been doing much better these past few days. I just keep telling myself that he is on the road to complete success and finally out of diapers!!!!
Way-to-go Tyson, mommy is so proud of you and your accomplishments!!!
One night after Ben got home from work I had to run to the store. I wasn't gone more than 20 minutes and this is what I came home to. He LOVES this box and plays in it all the time. I guess I tired him out with all the trips to the potty that day. Ben had put a towel at the bottom in case of any accidents and I covered him up for modesty sake, but he reminds me of a cute little puppy curled up in the box.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
"Pee-pee the potty!"
Posted by Valerie at 12:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
That is such a cute story! Yay Tyson! It will be so wonderful to have him potty trained before your new little one gets here!
What a cute picture of Tyson asleep in the box! Good luck on the potty training. It will all be worth it.
I love the box picture- priceless! Glad you are both making progress and looks like you will get a little break between kids- yay! I look forward to Josh being trained thus ending our- by then- likely 9 year affair with diapers. ugg.
Darling picture of Tyson! Fun times! He's growing up. :)
Post a Comment